Hip hip hurray! The house finally feels like it’s getting put back together.
I’m so in love with my new board and batten wall. It was such a nerve-racking project. In the end I’m soooo happy I went through with it. It’s made a big difference in my front room. If you are thinking about doing something like it yourself, “I say DO IT!”
I wont type up a tutorial for you because there are already tons out there. But I’ll tell you the basics of what we did.
First you know that I made up some mock up photoshop pictures to get an idea of what style I wanted in my room. Thanks for all who voted. The grid style was the winner by far… so that’s what I went with but eliminated the bottom grid. I think it turned out just right.
Second, I taped off the wall with the blue painters tape to get an idea of the exact height and measurements I wanted. I think I changed it 4 or 5 or 6 times and finally was so sick of it that I just went with it.
Next, I painted the wall white. I thought this would make the final coat at the end easier and it did.
As far as my supplies went, I bought mdf handypanel that was sized 1/4 in thick and 2×4 feet (I went thin because I didn’t want to have to beef up my tiny baseboards). This was the cheapest option I could come up with. It was only $5.68 for a sheet at home depot and I only used 2. With the help of a neighbor with a table saw we zipped the panel into 3 inch wide x 44 inches tall boards. I also bought 15 feet worth of window molding to match my existing trim and 15 feet of preprimed mdf trim that was something like 1 x 1/2 inches for the little ledge to top off my molding with. Also a tube of liquid nails and a tube of paintable caulking.
Next, I will tell you to measure twice or even three times and glue up your boards once because we had to redo some of the boards. Luckily we had some mineral spirits on hand and that wiped the liquid nails off the wall just fine. Whoo! Close one.
With the help of my good neighbor we got the boards up on the wall in a jiffy. What would I have done with out him?
The next day I caulked and mudded the seams best I could. Don’t look to close okay because it’s not a professional job at all. He he.
I was so excited to finally get the boards all painted! Yea! I might recommend prepainting all the boards and then touch up at the end but I dunno, it worked out fine to paint them on the wall and only took a couple hours for 2 coats.
I love my little ledge. I was unsure about it but love it now.
I’ve finished sewing a few more accent pillows too to go along with my Anthro inspired pillow. Wooh! Luckily sewing a square is a lot less intensive than putting up board and batten.
I think my front room is really coming together quite nicely.
Now, I shouldn’t have an excuse for picking the kids up late from school. Ha!